Many of us make personal resolutions on New Year’s Day each year: to exercise more, 吃的更健康, or call family more often. October is Energy Awareness Month, and it’s the perfect time to turn over a new leaf or two in your home or business. From establishing daily habits to committing to weekend projects, even the smallest effort will not only help the environment but can also save you money by helping you decrease your energy needs.
搜索 #EEDay2023 to learn more about ways to celebrate Energy Efficiency Day on October 4th
Consumers, business owners, and municipalities can take advantage of efficiency upgrades by visiting MassSave.com, NHSaves.com or EfficiencyMaine.com. These websites offer rebates, 激励, and recommendations to make our communities more sustainable.
Additional ways to get started:
Federal agencies such as the Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) provide leadership in energy management, building optimization, 大发体育比分弹性, and advanced and distributed energy technologies. They've also created inclusive checklists of ways residents, 企业, and facilities managers can improve their energy efficiency.
首页owners, Renters, and Landlords
Ready to save some energy in your home? Here are some highlights:
- Install a programmable thermostat that can be adjusted according to your schedule.
- Check light fixtures for opportunities to replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs.
- Keep your water heater set to the optimal factory temperature of 120 degrees to save money and prevent burns.
- Set a reminder on your favorite calendar app to replace your furnace filter every one to three months.
- Keep your furnace, boiler, or 热泵 in tip-top shape to prevent breakdowns and improve efficiency. Time for a replacement? Look for the ENERGY STAR® label.
Conserving energy at the office relies on cooperation from employees, so celebrate Energy Awareness Month by sharing some of these tips:
- Use dimmers, motion sensors, or occupancy sensors to automatically turn off lighting when not in use.
- 使用任务照明. Instead of brightly lighting an entire room, focus the light where you need it.
- Replace desktop computers with laptop computers and docking stations.
- Unplug equipment that drains energy when not in use (i.e. cell phone chargers, fans, coffeemakers, desktop printers, radios, etc.).
- Purchase office equipment (printers, 复印机, fax machines) with power management features (and use them).
Facilities have special considerations when it comes to energy efficiency. Some of the ways to save include:
- Install energy-efficient lighting and occupancy sensors.
- Minimize use of outside air for process ventilation.
- Match heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) schedules to occupancy schedules.
- Educate employees on building systems and energy efficiency measures.
- Lower setback temperatures.
- Energy Awareness Month comes but once a year, but energy efficiency can be practiced year-round.
- Consumers and business owners can celebrate Energy Efficiency Day by enlisting the help of their families and employees.
- When it comes to energy efficiency, no effort is too small. New habits can lead to lifelong energy savings.